After 15 years as an operating Cardiologist in the UK health system, Dr Aseem Malhotra found: refined carbohydrates & sugar, NOT FAT were over eaten; fat & cholesterol does not block arteries, inflammation does; and 50 % of hospital staff were overweight, meaning education is ineffective when the wrong information is provided.
What Made Cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra Want to Co Author The Pioppi Diet: A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan?
After 15 years as an operating cardiologist in the British health system, Dr Aseem found:
- 50% of hospital staff were overweight, meaning education is ineffective
- Refined carbohydrate & sugar, NOT FAT, was over eaten in all diets.
- He found fat did not block your arteries, but inflammation did
- Nutrition from low fat baked food contained: TOO MUCH sugar, and TOO MUCH pro-inflammatory hydrogenated omega-6 vegetable seed oils such as corn, canola, soy, sunflower, safflower, cotton & vegetable
Dr Aseem experienced senior people, not wanting to know what he had found. He discovered a non-biased publication which alerted him to 7 problems within the healthcare system, things he was experiencing. Here is the list of 7 serious concerns hidden within the Western health care system – YOUR HEALTH CARE SYSTEM:
- Biased funding of research (research funded because it is likely to be profitable, not because it is likely to be beneficial for patients)
- Biased reporting in medical journals
- Biased patient pamphlets
- Biased reporting in the media
- Commercial Conflicts of interest
- Defensive medicine
- Medical curricula that fail to teach doctors how to comprehend and communicate health statistics
See this evidence in the image below:
Efficient Health Care Requires Informed Doctors and Patients
The evidence Cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra quotes in the “Efficient Health Care Requires Informed Doctors and Patients” the research in the above image is from this book:
Better Doctors, Better Patients, Better Decisions: Envisioning Health Care 2020 (Strungmann Forum Reports) 1st Edition. By Gerd Gigerenzer (Editor, Contributor), J.A. Muir Gray (Editor Contributor), Wolfgang Gaissmaier (contributor), Albert G. Mulley Jr. (Contributor), & 40 more
What is The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan?
The Pioppi Diet re-educates you how to change your health potential and outcome. So that you REDUCE your numbers for: blood pressure, blood sugar, A1C (HbA1C), insulin, waistline and weight. It does this by re-educating you about: real unprocessed food and recommending a modernized high fat, authentic Mediterranean diet which includes coconut oil, but has corrected the decades old, wrongly interpreted food content of a Mediterranean diet. Foods included are: vegetables, extra virgin oil, nuts, oily fish, moderate intake of cheese & yogurt, and low sugar & low refined carbohydrates. It busts myths in the weight loss and fitness industries by re-educating you saying:
- Cholesterol can be good for you – at aged 60 years and over, ‘bad cholesterol’ (LDL) protects you from an early death
- The Mediterranean diet has been wrongly interpreted for decades
- Eating fat does not make you fat or clog arteries
- Dietary changes are more powerful than any drug for preventing and treating heart disease and type 2 diabetes which are reversible. You feel the benefits and effects immediately
- We are marketed health food which is laden with sugar, and also contain the pro-inflammatory omega 6 vegetable seed oils
“We are not being given the truth about our health” says whistle blowing Cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra, and film maker Donal O’Neill authors of The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan.
Product Details Amazon UK (April 26 2016)
- Paperback: 384 pages
- Publisher: Penguin; 01 edition (29 Jun. 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1405932635
- ISBN-13: 978-1405932639
- Product Dimensions: 12.9 x 19.8 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.2 out of 5 stars – 234 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1392 in Books
- #3 in Heart healthy cooking
- #3 in Biological Science
- #6 in Meat, Poultry, & Game (Books)
Content Chapters of The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan
The Pioppi Diet – A 21 – Day Lifestyle Plan – By Dr Aseem Malhotra & Donal O’Neill
- PART ONE The Story and the Science
- Chapter 1. Pioppi: The Village Where People Forget to Die
- Chapter 2. The Pioppi Diet: A Healthcare Manifesto
- Chapter 3. What is Processed Food?
- Chapter 4. Why Pick on Sugar?
- Chapter 5. Saturated Fat Does Not Clog the Arteries
- Chapter 6. Cholesterol: Friend or Foe?
- Chapter 7. The Root Cause of Heart Disease
- Chapter 8. Type 2 Diabetes is a Carbohydrate-Intolerance Disease
- Chapter 9. Stop Counting Calories and Stop Snacking
- Chapter 10. The Physical Activity Obesity Myth: You Can’t outrun a Bad Diet
- Chapter 11. Movement is Medicine
- Chapter 12. Stress
- Chapter 13. Intermittent Fasting
- PART TWO The Twenty-One Day Plan
- Chapter 14. The Guidelines
- Chapter 15. The Movement Protocol
- Chapter 16. Aseem and Donal’s Top Ten Foods
- Chapter 17. A Week in the Life of the Pioppi Diet
- Chapter 18. Recommended Shopping List
- PART THREE Recipes
- Notes – The Evidence
- Recipe Index
Lose weight, feel great and drastically reduce your risk of type-2 diabetes and heart disease
We are not being told the truth about our health. We’re told to avoid saturated fats, we’re marketed health food that is laden with sugar and we’re encouraged to pound out miles at the gym. However, our chance of getting obese are increasing – raising our risk of type-2 diabetes, cancer, dementia and heart disease.
In just 3 weeks (21 days), The Pioppi Diet will help you make simple achievable and long-lasting changes to how you eat, sleep and move – changes that all of us, no matter how busy we are, can make.
How The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan Works?
The Pioppi Diet works by RE-EDUCATIONING you:
- About the 70-year-old flawed research and how medical treatments has been misdirected for decades, treating symptoms and not root causes.
- It teaches you about real unprocessed food, and how to replace blood glucose and insulin triggering refine carbohydrates and sugars, in your daily diet.
- It teaches you how to replace processed pro-inflammatory omega 6 vegetable seed oils, with real nutritional fats such as virgin olive oil and coconut fat, in your daily diet.
- It teaches you that Government Dietary Advice is WRONG! And that it is NOT your fault that you have failed to achieve your health goals.
- The Pioppi Diet teaches you what your risk illiterate, and most doctors, choice to ignore, that systemic inflammation (whole body), NOT cholesterol, causes heart disease. And that insulin resistance is directly linked to, TOO MUCH refined carbohydrate and sugars (artificial & natural) in your diet.
The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan Re-Educates You On Heart Disease & Type 2 Diabetes Causes
Coronary Artery Plaque Image by Cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra
The evidence Cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra and Dr Zoe Harcombe found, that the root causes of coronary artery plaque (heart disease & stroke) are:
- Excess fructose and refined carbohydrates (located in the white area bottom left).
- Sub optimal omega 3 (located in white area bottom right).
- Too much omega 6 (located in white area bottom right).
- And Other factors.
This list of 4 contain arrows that point into the pale yellow or cream box the titles –Insulin Resistance and/or Systemic Inflammation.
Insulin Resistance and Systemic (chronic) Inflammation are driven by the above 4 facts. Explanation of what Insulin Resistance is and what Systemic (chronic) Inflammation is listed under the following headings: A. Insulin Resistance is a Very Confusing Name – B. What Does Inflammation in Your Body Mean?
A. Insulin Resistance is a Very Confusing Name.
What it really means is that your carbohydrate and sugar based diet, forces your body to continually produce the hormone insulin. The name, Insulin Resistance, misrepresents the fact, that the ‘beta cells’ in your pancreas have been BURNT OUT by the carbohydrate families of sugars & starches you’ve been recommended to eat by government dietary guidelines. Then, doctors managed you for the rest of your declining sick life, with diabetes medication. A point I find interesting is this – The estimated cost to public health, but income for pharmaceutical businesses in 2018 for the US is $327 billion say the American Diabetes Association.
Are you confidently counting carbohydrate calories, and following the glycemic index system of ranking foods, according to the amount of sugar they contain, in the belief that they are harmless? Look at the image below – SEE the number of teaspoons of sugar in government diet guideline recommended foods.
The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan Re-Educates You On Sugar
Teaspoons of Sugar in Food Recommended by Government Guidelines Advice
Here is a conversion of grams to U. S. cups & ounces:
- 200 grams (U.S. 1 cup, 7.05 oz).
- 180 grams (7/8 U.S. cup, 6.3 oz)
- 150 grams (3/4 U.S. cup, 5.29 oz)
- 120 grams (2/3 U.S. cup, 4.2 oz)
- 80 grams (2.82 oz)
- 30 grams (1/4 U.S. Cup, 1.0 oz)
Except for eggs, every food in the above list are families of carbohydrates, sugars and starches which trigger insulin. These are the food which cause BURN OUT of the beta cells of your pancreas. Then your pancreas is unable to make insulin. PLUS, for some reason you are diagnosed with insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome, but NOT systemic (chronic) inflammation in the body!!!!
Can you measure your A1C (Glycated hemoglobin) or HbA1C (Glycated haemoglobin) percentage?
If you can measure your A1C – HbA1C this means you are following the standard recommended Western Diet Guidelines which is: low fat, high cereal & bread, high fruit & juice, and high in purchased packets of refined carbohydrate. This means you continually flood your body with blood glucose, which continually forces your pancreas to make insulin.
WHAT DOES A1C (H b A1C) MEAN?
A1C – HbA1C means that the blood glucose from every carbohydrate (grains, cereals, fruit, juice, low fat products, natural & processed sugars) family member you eat, are attacking (attaching themselves to) your red blood cells in a process called glycation. This damages the inside of your arteries walls. (1) (2) Too much carbohydrates in your diet are one of the root cause of chronic inflammation in the body.
If you want to STOP this deadly, silent, damage, attacking the inside walls of your artery and blood vessel walls, then your AIC (HbA1C) percentage MUST be 0%.
The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan Re-Educates You On the Dangers of Too Many Omega 6 Vegetable Oils in Your Diet
The imbalance of omega 6 to omega 3, trigger inflammation inside the cells or your body. A dangerous imbalance can be found in blood cells when an omega 3 blood test is carried out. According to British Cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra in this book our hunter gather ancestors had a ratio of 1:1 Omega 6: Omega 3. Here is a list of what is shared with you:
- Modern Western Diet – 25:1 Omega 6: Omega 3 ratio
- Rural India – 5-6:1 Omega 6: Omega 3 ratio
- Urban India – 40:1 Omega 6: Omega 3 ratio
The Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism says omega-6 fatty acids (omega 6 vegetable seed oils from the omega-6 families such as canola, corn, soy, safflower, sunflower, cotton and vegetable) drive inflammation.
The US National Library of Medicine agrees with the Pioppi Diet saying “In the past 3 decades, total fat and saturated fat intake as a percentage of total calories has continually decreased in Western diets, while the intake of omega-6 fatty acids increased and the omega-3 fatty acids decreased, resulting in a large increase of omega-6/omega-3 ratio from 1:1 to 20:1 today or higher. “
B. What Does Inflammation in Your Body Mean?
“Over the past few years, it has become increasing clear that inflammation is at the root of atherosclerosis (heart [Ischemic] disease and stroke) and its complications” say the American Heart Association’s Circulation Journal in Part 1 of a 2-part article in October 28, 2003.
Systemic inflammation or chronic inflammation is a slow, long-term inflammation lasting for prolonged periods of several months to years says the US National Library of Medicine.
Chronic inflammation is through-out your body, it is therefore a type of systemic inflammation and can contribute to the development of disease, according to the summary in the John Hopkins Health Review.
Systemic (chronic) inflammation is not a disease, but a moving active process, driven by your out of control immune system. Your immune system is continually triggered by:
- Food choices
- A lack of, or too much of something
- A lack of essential nutrients
- Chemical toxins
- Medical drugs to suppress one action or function of your metabolism
- Ignoring root causes
Another point I found interesting is this – the Anti-Inflammatory Therapeutics Market is expected to reach $106.1 billion by 2020 according to the Allied Market Research website.
Anti-inflammatories suppress your body’s immune systems metabolisms, natural response to damage and harm, but have no ability to repair or heal, and may be one of the reasons unresolved systemic chronic inflammation is endemic.
The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan Re-Educates You On Good and Bad Fat
Busts Myth That Saturated Fat Clogs Arteries
One of the authors of The Pioppi Diet, the whistle blowing British Cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra slams ‘Government Dietary Guideline Advice’ during a Parliamentary speech in the House of Commons saying-
“Saturated fat does not clog the arteries; coronary heart disease is a chronic inflammatory condition, the risk of which can be effectively reduced from healthy lifestyle intervention.” The evidence, this honest Cardiologist, and his unbiased medical academic fellow researchers have found is that:
- Saturated fat does not clog or block arteries
- Too much omega 6 seed oils from canola, corn, soy, safflower, sunflower, cotton and vegetable oils trigger inflammation
- Excess fructose and refined carbohydrates (sugars & starches) trigger both insulin resistance & inflammation
The US National Library of Medicine say “In the past 3 decades, total fat and saturated fat intake as a percentage of total calories has continually decreased in Western diets, while the intake of omega-6 fatty acids increased and the omega-3 fatty acids decreased, resulting in a large increase of omega-6/omega-3 ratio from 1:1 to 20:1 today or higher. “
Pros & Cons of Review “The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan”
- Chapter 11. Movement is Medicine. I found the images showing the 21 days of exercise too small for me to use effectively.
- Re-education and rethinking your food choices is challenging. It can tear families apart. It can change your once, close relationship with your doctor. – This is my experience.
- In my opinion this is a SAFE way to re-educate yourself. Take each chapter as 1 x STEP. This means that there are 18 STEPS to re-educate yourself about your food and lifestyle.
- It will be very obvious to you that I am a huge fan of Cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra and his courage to tell us the truth.
- You can truly get well, by reducing your numbers for: blood pressure, blood sugar, A1C (HbA1C), insulin, waistline, weight, naturally with The Pioppi Diet method.
Endorsement of The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan
Stephen Tai Reversed Blood Pressure Weight Waist BMI & A1C
The Benefits Stephen Tai’s Achieved were:
- Blood pressure went down from 160/90 – to – 125/85
- Waist line went down from 98 cm (38.58 inches) – to – 76 cm (29.92 inches)
- Weight went down from 78 kg (171.96 lbs.) – to 64 kg (141 lbs.)
- HbA1c (A1C) went down from 8.4% – to – 5.5%
- BMI went down from 30 – to – 23
Andy Burnham and Sara Cox Explain Benefits
The Benefit of the Pioppi Diet, Andy Burnham, Mayor of Manchester in the United Kingdom says is: the power to make millions of people healthier and happier.
The Benefits Sara Cox received from the Pioppi Diet were a leaner, less bloated, more energized and healthy feeling.
The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan is Top Seller in Holland
Benefits Received From The Pioppi Diet in Holland
Benefits received from The Pioppi Diet in Holland were:
- Off diabetic medication in 21 days
- Lower blood pressure in 21 days
CONCLUSION Review of The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan by Whistle Blowing Cardiologist – 3 Points to Re-Think and 3 Points to Take Action on:
3 POINTS TO RE THINK:
1. First Re-Think – Re- read this post
2. Second Re-Think – Really ‘get’ the problem in health care is not lack of money, but lack of knowledge on the part of doctors and patients. Risk illiterate doctors, and patients, are endemic. They are giving you the wrong advice says Better Doctors, Better Patients, Better Decisions: Envisioning Health Care 2020 (Strungmann Forum Reports) 1st Edition. By Gerd Gigerenzer (Editor, Contributor), J.A. Muir Gray (Editor Contributor), Wolfgang Gaissmaier (contributor), Albert G. Mulley Jr. (Contributor), & 40 more.
3. Third Re-Think – 50% of hospital staff are still overweight. This means education is ineffective because the principals are wrong.
3 POINTS TO TAKE ACTION ON:
1. FIRST Take Action: Buy The Pioppi Diet A 21 Day Lifestyle Plan HERE at Amazon UK
Then ‘get’ you need to know your A1C (HbA1c) % and you need to know if your blood cells contain too much omega 6 fats and too little omega 3.
A1C (HbA1C) is linked to too much refined carbohydrates and sugars. Too much omega 6 fats and too little omega 3 fats drive systemic inflammation. These are both vital baseline test you need to know your numbers for so that you can truly START to re-educate yourself.
2. SECOND Take Action: Get your self-care, self-empowering A A1C (HbA1c) % blood test HERE
3. THIRD Take Action: Find out if your blood contains too much omega-6, too little omega-3 HERE
Now I’d like to hear from you. What do you think about my ‘rave’ on The Pioppi Diet, the Whistle Blowing Cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra, PLUS importantly my content findings?